|Price|| $3500 |
|Magazine capacity||30 / 90|
|Rate of fire|| 666 RPM|
429 RPM (Scoped)
|Weight (loaded)||4.09 kg|
|Projectile weight||4 g|
|Muzzle velocity||2900 ft/s|
|Muzzle energy||1570 J|
|Reload time|| 3.3 seconds |
|Counterpart|| SG 552 |
| Movement speed|
(units per second)
| 221 / 250 (88%)|
|Kill Award|| $300 (Competitive)|
|Recoil Control||19 / 26 (73%)|
|Accurate Range||35 m|
|Range Modifier|| 0.96 |
“Powerful and accurate, the AUG scoped assault rifle compensates for its long reload times with low spread and a high rate of fire.”
The AUG, or Bullpup, as it was previously known, is a rifle featured in the Counter-Strike series, exclusive to the Counter-Terrorists. The counterpart for the Terrorists is the Krieg 552 (before Global Offensive) and SG 553 in Global Offensive.
The AUG (Armee Universal Gewehr, roughly translated as "universal army rifle") is an Austrian-made bullpup assault rifle manufactured by Steyr Mannlicher. It was designed in 1977, and adopted as the new standard-issue rifle of the Austrian military in 1978. At the time, it was notable for having a futuristic appearance. Before Global Offensive, the AUG modeled in game is the Steyr AUG A0, an older version. In Global Offensive, the weapon is modeled after the newer Steyr AUG A3.
In game, the AUG is a CT-exclusive assault rifle, and the most expensive assault rifle for CTs at $3500/$3300 (in CS:GO).
The AUG has a high rate of fire and deals moderate damage. In Global Offensive, the AUG is able to instantly kill a full health helmet-wearing player with one headshot at point blank range. However, because the damage is 100 flat, any additional range will cause damage dropoff and make the feat impossible.
The AUG has good accuracy and moderately strong recoil. It has the highest first shot accuracy out of all assault rifles, which further improves when scoped in. Recoil is strong when fired full-auto (when unscoped), but the first few shots have controllable recoil so firing in bursts of 3 is viable. The AUG has a long reload time and is moderately heavy.
It is equipped with a low power scope for medium range engagement. The player can enter the scope by using secondary fire. The player will leave the scope if they use secondary fire again after scoped in or switches weapons.
In games prior to Global Offensive, using the scope provides a 1.5x zoom towards the crosshair, but lowers the rate of fire and increases the recoil.
In Global Offensive, while scoped in, the player's view is zoomed by 3x, the recoil is lowered significantly, accuracy is increased, there is no longer a fire rate penalty, and the player's movement speed is reduced considerably. The scope now also provides a HUD overlay of the scope, including an aiming reticle, giving the impression of the player actually aiming down the scope.
It is highly popular by newer players due to its easy-to-learn "scope and shoot" policy, but is avoided in competitive matches due to its higher price tag compared to the more cost-efficient M4s, heavy weight, and long reload times.
|CS 1.6 and CS:CZ and CS:S|
|Chest & Arm||31||22|
|Abdomen & Pelvis||39||27|
|Chest & Arm||28||25|
|Abdomen & Pelvis||35||31|
The AUG is a moderate weight weapon. While wielded, the player's movement speed is 220 units per second (default speed is 250), meaning they suffer 12% speed reduction.
The AUG is one of the many weapons able to shoot underwater.
- This weapon is ideal for defensive purposes, such as guarding or camping, but can also be used offensively. Since an opponent with a sniper rifle still has an advantage at long range, it's advised to camp at medium to close ranges with the AUG.
- Use the weapon's zoom to increase the accuracy of the weapon for opponents at a distance.
- It is not recommended to use the zoom at close range, as it decreases the peripheral vision and firing rate (in older games). Additionally, firing while zoomed in will cause more visual shake, making it more difficult to track targets at close ranges.
- In earlier games, due to the reduced rate of fire, it is recommended to go for a headshot or aim at the chest or neck when zoomed in.
- In Global Offensive, because using the scope drastically reduces the recoil, it is actually viable to spray while aiming down the scope, due to the ease of compensating the recoil.
- When using the optics, take advantage of cover and remain unexposed to be a harder target to hit or ambush, especially at mid-range.
- With the small level of zoom, it's possible to use the AUG as a replacement automatic sniper rifle (when the real auto sniper rifles are either banned by server rules or economically unviable) for long range use by firing in short bursts. The AUG is not a true replacement however, as the auto snipers have significantly higher damage.
- The AUG is often avoided in competitive matches due to being less economically viable than the M4A1/M4A4/M4A1-S. The extra money saved can be used for more useful tactical equipment instead.
- In Global Offensive, the AUG inflicts slightly less damage than any other assault rifles against unarmored targets, but the good armor penetration makes the AUG the only CT-exclusive assault rifle that can kill with 1 headshot even with helmet equipped (only at close range).
- Spraying bullets is not always recommended unless at very close range as the AUG has rather strong recoil (outside of when aiming down the scope in Global Offensive).
- Compared to the SG 552, the AUG has better accuracy and lower spread, but it also has lower damage and longer reload time. This makes the AUG less suitable for users that spray bullets so it is recommended to burst-fire and aim accurately to counter SG 552 users.
- Reload strategically, as the AUG's reload time is considerably long (especially in Source and Global Offensive, where its reload time is the longest among rifles).
In the Tour of Duty, the Bullpup kill challenge appears in:
|Normal||Kill an enemy|
|Hard / Expert||Kill 3 enemies without dying|
|Easy||Kill 2 enemies|
|Normal||Kill 3 enemies|
|Hard / Expert||Kill 3 enemies without dying|
|Easy / Normal||Kill 3 enemies|
|Hard / Expert||Kill 5 enemies|
The following bots use the Bullpup as their main weapon:
The Bullpup appears in the following missions:
A Lesson in Restraint (504)
|Score 40 AUG kills in Deathmatch: Zoo matches.||
|“Since aligning himself with Valeria, Turner does whatever he can to keep us off balance… forcing us to panic and lose focus. But precision is the hallmark of a great operator… it’s easy to wield an Aug(sic) like a cudgel, but can you use it as a scalpel?”|
|“Precision is the hallmark of a great operator… it’s easy to wield an Aug(sic) like a cudgel, but can you use it as a scalpel?”|
Blue Domes, Red Streets (711)
|Score 30 AUG or SG 553 kills in Deathmatch: Santorini matches.||
|“Santorini is the gem of the Greek isles… we won't let it be tarnished by the Phoenix.”|
Mayhem In The Mediterranean (714)
|Score 30 AUG or SG 553 kills in Casual: Santorini matches.||
|“Stop the Phoenix: and reclaim Santorini for its people.”|
Blood In The Water (909)
|Guardian Co-op Challenge: Play as a Counter-Terrorist with a partner and protect the bombsite from enemies on Canals.||
|“You are headed to my favorite place to make poor life decisions. Have fun… lord knows I would.”|
Beauty Shots (920)
| Guardian Co-op Challenge: Play as a Counter-Terrorist with a partner and protect the bombsite from enemies on Thrill.
Score a win by getting 25 enemy kills with AUG.
|“Fun fact: Felix is a total coaster junkie—when you're done with the mission pick him up an Event Horizon hoodie and he'll love you forever. Um, he may not love you forever but he'll probably smile and say thank you. Okay, he might not say "thank you" but inside… deep inside that British heart of stone he's saying "Eh. I may wear that."”|
- In Counter-Strike: Source, the AUG's bolt is not attached to the gun. The bottom of the bolt is missing faces and can be seen through.
- When pulling the bolt back, the bolt actually floats above where it's supposed to be.
- A HUD and game error in Counter-Strike: Source lists the ammunition as 7.62x51mm, when in fact it is coded to use 5.56x45mm.
- In all titles prior to Global Offensive, the AUG was known as the Bullpup, despite the existence of two other bullpup weapons in the game; the P90 and FAMAS.
- The optic used for the AUG A1 in Counter-Strike, Condition Zero, and Source is called the Swarovski scope, a traditional scope for the AUG A1 and acts as carrying handle. In Global Offensive, the AUG A3 uses the more modern Trijicon ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight).
- In Global Offensive, the AUG is modeled with a 42 round magazine, though it still holds the usual 30.
- The AUG in real life uses a transparent magazine that shows remaining rounds; however the magazine will always appears to be full, no matter how many rounds are actually in the magazine. This may have been implemented to reduce memory, similar to the UMP-45, Krieg 552, Krieg 550 Commando, P90, and M249.
- Before the June 26, 2013 update, the rate of fire would be halved while scoped in, to about 360 rpm. After the update, it was changed to 429 RPM.
- In the February 12, 2014 update in Global Offensive, the scoped view was updated from the old scope and crosshair (identical to sniper scopes) to a green dot sight, which is further updated in the February 20, 2014 update in which the scope dot is now tinted using the player’s crosshair color settings.
- However, when
cl_crosshaircolor_bis set to 0 makes green dot while using zoom for Aug.
- However, when
- Steyr AUG at Wikipedia.