|Creator(s)|| Chris Auty (original author)|
Turtle Rock Studios
|Counter-Terrorists||SEAL Team 6|
|First appearance||Counter-Strike 1.6|
|Last appearance||Counter-Strike: Condition Zero|
Counter-Terrorists: Prevent the terrorist planting the explosives in the airstrip compound.
Other notes: There are 2 bomb sites in this map.
The map was designed by Chris "Barney/narby" Auty and got its start from an IRC chat between Auty and John "rizzuh" Jensen, where Jensen mentioned the possibility of a jungle themed map. Some inspiration was also taken from the movie Clear and Present Danger. He received help with textures from Iikka "Fingers" Keränen and the models used were made by Valve Software. More time was spent on making the map visually pleasing than Auty had done on his previous maps. The map was initially released together with Counter-Strike 1.6.
Post-release, the map has been updated a few times using the automatic updating available in Steam. Changes included the addition of an alternate route for CTs to take from their spawn and the addition of an easter egg to tribute the contributors to the map.
The map was visually upgraded by Ritual Entertainment. It was most likely based on an older version of the map, since the passageway behind the CT spawn (bombsite B) which lead to the underpass of the bridge wasn't present. The weather of the map was changed to make it rain.
- For an overview on Airstrip in Tour of Duty, see Airstrip/Tour of Duty.
For Condition Zero, a few minor changes were made compared to the Xbox version of the map. Some additional ambience sound effects were added. Perhaps most notably, the rain weather effect was removed and, just like the Xbox version, the pathway with the computer room that had connected between the CT Spawn Zone and the tunnel was not present.
This map has been chosen to be the 15th map in the Tour of Duty campaign.
- The Terrorist Spawn Zone has a slight resemblance to the atmosphere of Jurassic Park.
- There is a runway right next to the CT Spawn. However, it can only be accessed by the spectator mode Free Look.
- Currently, two unofficial Counter-Strike: Global Offensive remakes can be found on the Steam Workshop:
- Airstrip by Aynekko
- airstrip by SPARTA || OT
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 CS-Nation - interviews - narby. Archived from the original on 2004-04-28.
- ↑ Counter-Strike Update History
- ↑ Barney's World - old news & updates. Archived from the original on 2009-07-06.