Arsenal is a game mode that appears in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. It is based upon the popular Gun Game mod for Counter-Strike 1.6 and Counter-Strike: Source. Rather than using money to purchase weapons, players acquire new ones by killing opposition and progressing through the arrangement of weapons.
- "In demolition mode, players take turns attacking and defending a single bombsite in a series of maps designed for fast-paced gameplay. Players are automatically granted a starting weapon, and advance through a sequence of firearms when they register a kill. If you’re up to the challenge, you can try to register a kill each round and reach the ultimate weapons, powerful sniper rifles!"
- ―Motto on the CS:GO blog page
Arsenal: Demolition is a fast paced mix of bomb planting and gun progression (Gun Game) and is based on the modification.
Buy menus are unavailable and money will not be rewarded. All players start with a team-specific rifle, a defusal kit (as a CT), and a Terrorist player is randomly given the C4. Any players who made a (non-teamkill) kill that round will receive a new weapon in the next round, going down the arrangement of weapons and losing their weapon used in the last round. If a player eliminates more than one enemy player in the same round, highly valued equipment, like the HE grenade, will be rewarded. If a player did not use the rewarded equipments, it will be kept through the rounds until the player is killed. Players cannot pick up dropped weapons and grenades.
After 10 rounds, the sides will switch and players start again. The entire game lasts 20 rounds. The first team to win 11 rounds is the winner.
The goal of this scenario is simple and quite similar to bomb defusal (de). The only characteristics that are prominent are that the Arsenal: Demolition maps are only small to medium sized and that players do not have the free choice to purchase or select desired weapons. Instead, weapons and equipment (such as grenades) is automatically given.
This game mode is favored more by players who enjoy overcoming challenges, such as wielding less desirable weapons. Generally, the weapon assortment for Arsenal: Demolition features firearms that are progressively less suited for engaging groups of enemies at close proximity. This is evidenced by the fact that many of the weapons in this scenario have a low firing rate and/or inflict less damage compared to a handful of other firearms. To some players of the Counter-Strike community, they consider this game scenario the evolved version of bomb defusal, only it's (somewhat) harder and takes more skill.
Arrangement of weapons:
- M4A4 / AK-47
- UMP-45 / PP-Bizon
- Desert Eagle
- Five-SeveN / P250
- P2000 / Glock 18
- SSG 08
- SCAR-20 / G3SG1
Arrangement of Equipment
Arsenal: Arms RaceEdit
- "Arms race is a gun-progression mode featuring instant respawning and a ton of close-quarter combat. Players gain new weapons immediately after registering a kill as they work their way through each weapon in the game. Get a kill with the final weapon, a golden knife, and win the match."
- ―Motto on the CS:GO blog page
Arsenal: Arms Race is similar and based on the normal Gun Game gameplay.
Gun Game is a popular mod for Counter-Strike 1.6, Condition Zero, and Source that has received attention from Valve. This scenario featured players who started with a Glock and was required to reach the knife round to score for their team. Unlike other game modes, players spawn infinitely even after dying and they are normally limited to one firearm. After eliminating a player, a better weapon is rewarded.
Eventually, Valve recognized and implemented this mod into a game scenario in Global Offensive but changed the name into Arms Race, the assortment of weapons that were rewarded, and improved it. In Arms Race, every player starts with a submachine gun, specifically the MP9, and gets a new and different weapon for each kill. After a while, the weapon assortment for that player changes from SMGS to shotguns, then assault/sniper rifles, Machine guns, handguns, and finally the gold knife. When that player receives that knife, the player has reached the "knife round" and will receive the chance to score for his team if he gets a kill while wielding the knife.
Basically, the goal of the game is to receive as many kills as possible, while trying to stay alive, in order to reach the knife round.
If a player manages to score 2 kills with the same weapon, that player will advance two "levels". This can be done with shotguns and the AWP.
There is no time limit for this scenario, although some rounds may last one minute or even 10 minutes, depending on the amount of players and the map size.
Just like the Game Gun mod, players spawn continuously and do not lose their current/previous weapon, but players can lose a weapon level if they are killed with a knife by a player who is not yet on the gold knife round, when they kill a teammate, or by killing themselves (usually, by falling).
Arrangement of weapons:
- Galil AR
- SG 553
- Desert Eagle
- Dual Berettas
- Gold Knife
Arms Race & DemolitionEdit
Play a round on every Arms Race and Demolition map.
Kill a player who is on gold knife level in Arms Race mode.
Win a match on every Arms Race and Demolition map.
Win an Arms Race match without dying.
Be the first player to get a kill in an Arms Race or Demolition match.
| One Shot One Kill|
Kill three consecutive players using the first bullet of your gun in Arms Race mode.
Win an Arms Race match without reloading any of your weapons.
| Shorter Fuse|
Plant five bombs in Demolition Mode.
| Quick Cut|
Defuse five bombs in Demolition mode.
| First Things First|
Personally kill the entire Terrorist team before the bomb is planted in Demolition Mode.
| Target Secured|
Personally kill the entire Counter-Terrorist team before the bomb is planted in Demolition Mode.
| Born Ready|
Kill an enemy with the first bullet after your respawn protection ends in Arms Race mode.
| Base Scamper|
Kill an enemy just as their respawn protection ends in Arms Race mode.
| Knife on Knife|
Kill an enemy who is on gold knife level with your own knife in Arms Race mode.
| Level Playing Field|
Kill an enemy who is on gold knife level with a sub-machine gun in Arms Race Mode.
| Still Alive|
Survive more than 30 seconds with less than ten health in Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| Practice Practice Practice|
Play 100 matches of Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| Gun Collector|
Play 500 matches of Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| King of the Kill|
Play 5,000 matches of Arms Race or Demolition mode.
Win one match in Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| Keep on Gunning|
Win 25 matches in Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| Kill of the Century|
Win 100 matches in Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| The Professional|
Win 500 matches in Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| Cold Pizza Eater|
Win 1,000 matches in Arms Race or Demolition mode.
| Repeat Offender|
Dominate an enemy.
Dominate ten enemies.
Kill an enemy who is dominating you.
| Can't Keep a Good Man Down|
Kill 20 enemies who are dominating you.
Kill an enemy whom you are already dominating.
| Command and Control|
Kill 100 enemies whom you are already dominating.
| Ten Angry Men|
Kill 10 enemies you are already dominating during a single match.
| Excessive Brutality|
Kill an enemy whom you are dominating four additional times.
| Hat Trick|
Dominate three enemies simultaneously.
| Avenging Angel|
Kill an enemy who has killed a player on your friends list in the same round.
- The Arsenal: Demolition maps are unique as they are the first official maps to feature only one bombsite, primarily, a safe.
- Furthermore, the Demolition mode is somewhat reminiscent of the cut Escape scenario from the Counter-Strike beta, as both scenarios feature both teams switching roles at a specific time.
- Excluding Shorttrain and Stmarc, all Demolition maps center around a safe as a bombsite instead of the usual nuclear containment barrels.
- The Arms Race mode is the one of the two official game modes that allow players to respawn infinitely; the other game mode is Deathmatch.
- Every map, except Shorttrain, in Demolition mode is based off a campaign level from the Left 4 Dead series.
- The SSG 08, SCAR-20, and the G3SG1 are not available in the Arms Race scenario thus making the AWP the only usable sniper rifle.
- In the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta, the Arms Race mode had a bug in which after a player successfully eliminates an enemy with the Gold Knife, players will experience a delay (or lag) for the round to end.
- Shortly after the release of Arsenal mode in CS:GO, Counter-Strike Online also introduces Gun Deathmatch as their new mode.