|Creator(s)|| Chris Auty (original author)|
Ritual Entertainment (CSX, CSCZ)
Turtle Rock Studios (CSX, CSCZ)
Valve Corporation (CSS, CSGO)
Hidden Path Entertainment (CSGO)
|Terrorists|| Guerilla Warfare (CSX)|
Phoenix Connexion (CS:GO)
|Counter-Terrorists||SEAL Team 6|
|First appearance||BETA 6.5|
|Last appearance||Counter-Strike: Global Offensive|
Counter-terrorists: Prevent the terrorists bombing the archeological site.
Terrorists: Destroy the valuable Aztec ruins.
Other notes: There are 2 bombsites in this mission.
Aztec in CS 1.5 had some dust textures.
The spawn zone and the bridge are quite different than it was in 1.5.
The Terrorist and CT spawn zone have some visual changes. The bridge was altered to some extent and textures for the entire map were improved. Aztec was one of the largest outdoor maps in its early history and is perhaps most famous for its design. It was created by Barney.
Textures were greatly enhanced as it included a mossy texture. The names of the bombsites were switched and new ambiance sounds can be heard, such as crickets.
Visual updates are easily recognized as the water in the river is more realistic. Moreover, the brightness was somewhat reduced as there are more clouds in the sky. In older versions of Source, the sky was darker.
Aside from graphical improvements, the back route that connected between the Terrorist Spawn Zone and the river was removed and brightness was increased. Furthermore, the angle of the ramp at the back was placed in reverse thus allowing players to traverse through the area with ease.
In an update, the map has been revamped. There is a pathway that connects the back halls and the courtyard. The overpass offers more protection from snipers for the Terrorist team. Additional props have been added to the river and bombsite A for more cover.
This map is chosen to be the 12th map in Tour of Duty campaign.
| Aztec Map Veteran|
Win 100 rounds on the DE_Aztec map.
- This is one few maps in the Counter-Strike series that has not changed frequently. Noticeable changes include texture differences and a few minor structural changes.
- From the early beta stages to Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, the textures were changed from stone and grass to mossy and slightly darker stone.
- Starting with Counter-Strike: Source, the area from the CT Spawn Zone to the doors leading to Bomb site B was simplified, and the openness of the T spawn zone was changed.
- In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the ramp connecting the T Spawn Zone and the river was removed, while a connector from CT Side hall to Bomb site A was added (Note: this connector is not visible in the overview or radar).
- The names of the bomb sites (A and B) were switched in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and later Counter-Strike games.
- The map was featured in the Counter Strike: Source E3 (2004) trailer.
- There is a skeleton lying on a table at the Terrorist spawn zone of CS 1.6 and Condition Zero.
- In Global Offensive, the generator in bombsite B is reused from Left 4 Dead's The Truck Depot Finale from the Crash Course campaign.