|Creator(s)|| Chris Auty (original author)|
Turtle Rock Studios
Hidden Path Entertainment
|Terrorists|| Guerilla Warfare |
|Counter-Terrorists||SEAL Team 6|
|First appearance||BETA 6.5|
|Last appearance||Counter-Strike: Global Offensive|
Counter-terrorists: Prevent the terrorists bombing the archeological site.
Terrorists: Destroy the valuable Aztec ruins.
Other notes: There are 2 bombsites in this mission.
Aztec in Counter-Strike 1.5 had some dust textures.
The spawn zone and the bridge are quite different than it was in 1.5.
The Terrorist and CT spawn zone have some visual changes. The bridge was altered to some extent and textures for the entire map were improved. Aztec was one of the largest outdoor maps in its early history and is perhaps most famous for its design. It was created by Barney.
Textures were greatly enhanced. Stone and grass textures were changed to higher-detail mossy and slightly darker stone. The names of the bombsites were switched and new ambiance sounds can be heard, such as crickets.
Visual updates are easily recognized as the water in the river is more realistic. Moreover, the brightness was somewhat reduced as there are more clouds in the sky. In older versions of Source, the sky was darker.
Aside from graphical improvements, the back route that connected between the Terrorist Spawn Zone and the river was removed and brightness was increased. Furthermore, the angle of the ramp at the back was placed in reverse thus allowing players to traverse through the area with ease. A connector from CT Side hall to Bombsite A was added.
In one of the earliest updates to the map, its visually noisy ground stone and moss textures have been replaced with darker, cobblestone-like ground and plainer-looking moss. Additionally, ground fog particles have also been removed.
In a later update, the map has been revamped. There is a pathway that connects the back halls and the courtyard. The overpass offers more protection from snipers for the Terrorist team. Additional props have been added to the river and bombsite A for more cover.
On the November 13, 2017 update, the map was removed from the game files, making it inaccessible in game. The reason for removal was stated to be due to the map being a lesser played map. On the CS GO Blog, developers promised to re-add the map when it is updated.
- On Counter-Strike 1.1 version, Map received a new skybox texture. Skybox is named "
doom1", is based on Doom's episode 1 sky texture and it's still used on retail version of game.
- The map was featured in the Counter Strike: Source E3 (2004) trailer.
- There is a skeleton lying on a table at the Terrorist spawn zone of Counter-Strike 1.6 and Condition Zero.
- In Global Offensive, the generator in bombsite B is reused from Left 4 Dead's Truck Depot Finale from the Crash Course campaign.
- Early versions of the map feature an Easter Egg visible only in spectator mode. The wall next to the rope bridge features a hidden room with a memorial plaque to cs_siege creator Justin DeJong (NOTH1NG).
- ↑ The Best of Hydra on CS GO Blog
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3c4ysi/unused_guardian_missions_assault_italy_aztec_and/
- ↑ Counter-Strike - Odds & Ends Part 1 on Youtube