Counter-terrorists: Prevent the terrorists bombing the archeological site.
Terrorists: Destroy the valuable Aztec ruins.
Other notes: There are 2 bomb sites in this mission.
Aztec in CS 1.5 had some dust textures.
The spawn zone and the bridge are quite different than it was in 1.5.
The Terrorst and CT spawn zone had some visual changes. The bridge was altered to some extent amd textures for the entire map were improved. Aztec was one of the largest outdoor maps in its early history and is perhaps most famous for its design. It was created by Barney.
Textures were greatly enhanced as it included a mossy texture. The names of the bombsites were switched and new ambience sounds can be heard, such as crickets.
Visual updates are easily recognized as the water in the river is more realistic. Moreover, the brightness was somewhat reduced as there are more clouds in the sky. In older versions of Source, the sky was darker.
Aside from graphical improvements, the back route that connected between the Terrorist Spawn Zone and the river was removed and brightness was increased. Furthermore, the angle of the ramp at the back was placed in reverse thus allowing players to traverse through the area with ease.
In an update, the map has been revamped. There is a pathway that connects the back halls and the courtyard. The overpass offers more protection from snipers for the Terrorist team. Additional props have been added to the river and bombsite A for more cover.
- Main article: Aztec/Guide''
- Main article: Aztec/Tour of Duty''
This map is chosen to be the 12th map in Tour of Duty campaign.
| Aztec Map Veteran|
Win 100 rounds on the DE_Aztec map.
- Main article: Aztec/Gallery''
- This is one few maps in the Counter-Strike series that has not changed frequently. The only changes that did occur was the textures and a few minor differences in the structure of the map. From the early beta stages to Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, the textures have changed from a simple while layout to a mossy, dark green type. Starting from Counter-Strike: Source, the area from the CT Spawn Zone to the doors that led to Bombsite B has been simplified while the T spawn zone has a few sky changes. In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the ramp that connected the T Spawn Zone and the river were removed.
- It is interesting to note that the names of the bombsites (A and B) in de_aztec were switched in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and later Counter-Strike games.
- The map was featured in the Counter Strike: Source E3 (2004) trailer.