“Let us be safe, and swift.”
Judging from their name, they would originate from the Balkan regions, a large area in Southeastern Europe. Several of them wear winter hats and Russian tanker headwear, and all wear thick brown jackets, suggesting that they hail from a cold region.
These suggest that the faction represents South Slavic terrorist groups in Balkan nations, likely one formerly in the Communist Bloc. On a wider scale, they can represent any Slavic/Eastern European terrorist group due to their non-specific portrayal, inspired by modern regional conflicts such as the Yugoslav Wars or the Chechen Wars.
Their hand model features a thick brown jacket with a red sleeve poking out the end with leather gloves.
- One of their "Thank You!" quotes is "спаси́бо", which is Russian for "thank you" and is not used in any Balkan countries.
- The Balkans were first seen in Dust2 in the first Global Offensive trailer. They were replaced by the Elite Crew in the released game.
- They were the third Terrorist model added to the Global Offensive Beta.
- They appeared on more maps prior to the August 10th, 2012 update.
- The default gloves used by the Balkan is identical to the default gloves of the Phoenix Connexion, the Separatist, and the Professional.
- The Balkans are one of the two Terrorist groups that have "unused" quotes about hostages, the other group being the Elite Crew.