|Born||May 6, 1982|
|Aliases|| ■ Barney |
Christopher Auty got his start in level designing with Duke Nukem 3D, but eventually moved on to Quake and thereafter Half-Life. In May 1999, he took up level design for Counter-Strike and would be actively designing maps for the game for the following four years. Auty also designed a few maps for Day of Defeat during this time (including Chemille which became an official map). Judging by the amount of maps he managed to get included in Counter-Strike, he could well be considered one of the more successful amateur mappers and his maps Aztec and Inferno have appeared in every title since.
His success in mapping for the game also garnered the interest of Gearbox Software when they were in the process of developing Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. As Auty was living in the United Kingdom, working for them directly would have been difficult. Therefore in August 2001 he started working for Gearbox Software contractually off-site as a professional level designer. Despite the hectic development of the title, one map designed by him (Stadium) ended up in the released version of the game. After the development of Condition Zero was passed on to Ritual Entertainment, Auty worked on a few levels for the PC version of James Bond 007: Nightfire.
List of maps
|Quarry||(cut)[n 1]||Level designer||2004|
|Aztec2||[n 2]||Level designer||-|
- ↑ Barney's World - About. Archived from the original on 2009-07-06.
- ↑ CS-Nation interviews narby. Archived from the original on 2004-05-25.
- ↑ Barney's World - germ@n s@l@mi. Archived from the original on 2009-07-06.
- ↑ Chris Auty :: Level Designer » Resumé
- ↑ CS-Nation - Aztec 2 Preview. Archived from the original on 2004-06-21.
- ↑ CS-Nation - Aztec 2 Interview. Archived from the original on 2004-06-05.
- ↑ Quarry was originally supposed to be an official map, but it was cut during development and later redesigned and released as a custom map in 2004.
- ↑ Chris started designing Aztec 2 in 2003 but never finished the map. However, an unfinished version of the map was leaked.