The Counter-Strike series is a series of multiplayer first-person shooter video games primarily developed for Microsoft Windows and later, the Mac OS X, by Valve Corporation. Counter-Strike was later ported to the Xbox while Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has been released for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360—a first for the series.
The series has been known for its competitive, challenging gameplay, its high use of team work and tactics, and the use of the GoldSrc and Source engines, known for their accessibility and being friendly for game modification.
Was first created as a tactical first-person shooter video game developed by Valve Corporation which originated from a Half-Life modification by Minh "Gooseman" Le and Jess "Cliffe" Cliffe. By the fourth beta version, Valve Software, the developer who created Half-Life, began assisting in the development of Counter-Strike. In 2000, Valve bought the rights to Counter-Strike, and would publish the title for Microsoft Windows that year, and later in 2003 for the Xbox. OS X and Linux ports were available in January 2013.
- Counter-Strike (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
- Counter-Strike (Xbox) (Xbox)
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (Microsoft Windows)
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes (Microsoft Windows)
- Counter-Strike: Source (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Linux)
The spin-off games are targeted towards a different audience and are usually not considered part of the series.
- Counter-Strike Neo (Arcade)
- Counter-Strike Online (Microsoft Windows)
- Counter-Strike Online 2 (Microsoft Windows)
- Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombie (Microsoft Windows)
As of December 3, 2008, the original Counter-Strike had sold 4.2 million retail copies, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero had sold 2.9 million, Counter-Strike (Xbox) had sold 1.5 million, and Counter-Strike: Source had sold 2.1 million. Digital sales via Steam are not factored in.
Valve has stated that the series has sold over 25 million units since the original release of Counter-Strike.
- ↑ http://store.steampowered.com/news/6059/
- ↑ http://www.shacknews.com/article/56193/valve-reveals-lifetime-retail-sales
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/counter-strike-global-offensive/news/6328645/counter-strike-global-offensive-firing-up-early-2012
- Counter-Strike at Wikipedia
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero at Wikipedia
- Counter-Strike: Source at Wikipedia
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive at Wikipedia
- Counter-Strike Neo at Wikipedia
- Counter-Strike Online at Wikipedia