|The Desert Hit|
|First appearance||BETA 1.1|
|Last appearance||BETA 3.1|
Desert was apparently removed due to the large, open-spaced setting that allowed players to easily kill other enemies with sniper rifles and the multiple camping spots that made it hard for players to see potential snipers from a far distance. Due to this, it is rare to observe a Counter-Terrorist successfully escorting the hostages to the hostage rescue zone.
Generally, the Counter-Terrorists can quickly move to the upper sections of the map and pin down the Terrorists. However, the Terrorists are also armed with a heavy machine gun that can prevent the Counter-Terrorists from rescuing the hostages. Regardless, the integrity of cs_desert is unbalanced for both teams.
The map was designed by Timm Stokke and initially appeared in beta 1.1. It was updated once during its time in the official map rotation, for beta 3.0. The changes included spacing out player spawn points to negate telefragging, making the campfires present in the map do considerably less damage and finally the mounted gun by the Terrorist spawn was made stronger.
One final update was made for the map, but due to the map having it's final appearance in beta 3.1, this update was never officially put into rotation. The update fixed the infamous skybox surfing bug, which allowed players to enter the top of the map and fire down at players while not being visible to other players. This fixed version of the map was eventually released separately through the Counter-Strike Classical Map-Pack.
- This is one of the few maps in which opponents can throw grenades (or flashbangs) as an endless shower of explosions in the upper areas of the map.
- Both spawn zones of the teams feature camping spots for snipers that overlook the combat zones.
- Judging by the lack of recent activity in the map, it may have been an abandoned battlefield as there are charred spots from explosions, a destroyed tank, sandbags, a mounted machine gun (near the Terrorist spawn zone) and trench-like areas.
- ↑ The entity data of the map specifies the full name of the map as The Desert Hit.
- ↑ Counter-Strike.net - The CS Team. Archived from the original on 1999-11-27.
- ↑ Counter-Strike Classical Map-Pack. Archived from the original on 2002-09-25.