- For more strategical information, see Dust 2/Guide.
The Counter-Terrorists have two objectives: to prevent the Terrorists from planting the C-4 at either of the two chemical weapon stashes (Bombsites A or B), or to defuse the bomb after the Terrorists plant. The map appears to be based in the Middle East, similar to its predecessor Dust. Dust2 is arguably the most popular and played Counter-Strike map and perhaps the iconic map of the franchise.
Counter-Terrorists: Prevent Terrorists from bombing chemical weapon crates. Team members must defuse any bombs that threaten targeted areas.
Other Notes: There are 2 chemical weapon stashes or Bomb-sites in the mission.
While David Johnston's Cobble was considered by some as a spiritual successor to the original Dust, he wanted to create a true "sequel". During alpha and beta stages, the map was titled Dust 3 "on the basis that the third installment of any movie trilogy is typically never as good as the first one". Before launch, however, Jess Cliffe advised DaveJ to change the map's name to a far more sensible Dust 2.
It was included as an official map with the Counter-Strike 1.1 patch.
- At bombsite A, you can find graffiti saying "Goose". This is a reference to Minh Le "Gooseman", the co-creator of Counter-Strike.
- Dust2 is the most popular map in the Counter-Strike series and can be considered the most popular and iconic bomb defusal map ever created. It is chosen by many Counter-Strike tournaments as well.
- In Counter-Strike 1.6, there are two hidden messages in the map. In the Counter-Terrorist Spawn Zone, there is a note from Dave Johnston who thanks everyone in the making of Dust2. Elsewhere, there is another message that dedicates this map for Justin Dejong.
- Main article: Dust 2/Gallery