- Similarly to its real life counterpart, it was probably meant to be used for signaling or providing light in an area.
- It could have potentially functioned similar to the decoy grenade, showing up as a blip on the radar.
- The presence of a kill icon indicates that the flare would damage anyone that passes near it or on it.
Main article: Flare/Gallery
- It is unknown what faction was to use this device although it could have been likely that both Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists could purchase the Flare.
- The flare was also cut from Half-Life, although it was used in the Half-Life 2 games.