Forest (as_forest) was an official Assassination map in the Counter-Strike beta. It featured the Counter-Terrorists and the VIP who were trapped within enemy territory and the Terrorists who were attempting to silence the VIP.
Forest was most likely removed due to serious balancing issues. The Terrorists could easily gain the upper hand in any duration of a round as they can easily camp the VIP escape zones. Furthermore, the large and open map had so much exposure of other team players that could lead to the death of the VIP within seconds, if the Counter-Terrorists were not careful and defensive. If sniper rifles are used, both teams could either pin themselves down or lead to the rapid elimination of players.
After an AAA gun cripples a transport helicopter during an escort mission, a group of CT's and a valuable government official find themselves deep within enemy territory. A military helicopter has been dispatched and will be waiting in a clearing near a supply bridge. If the helicopter has been compromised, a rescue unit will be prepared for a rendezvous at waypoint Bravo, five minutes down the main round, which is fortified by a turret-enforced road block.
The Combat ZoneEdit
- While the Counter-Terrorists spawn at the base of a waterfall, the Terrorists spawn in an area with buildings. However, none of the infrastructures can be accessed due to the fact that the doors are locked and there are no other methods in entering inside. Interestingly, some of the terrorist bots will attempt to access the door of a building nearby the spawn zone. However, they cannot enter and they will give up after a few seconds.
- There are two useable turrets nearby the terrorist spawn zone and one of the VIP escape zones. These weapons are vastly overpowered due to their range and power and would lead to the terrorists in gaining the upper hand.
- Nearby the CT spawn zone, if the player is to go further through the river, there is a large dam. The player can even progress down the first waterfall and still be able to get out with the presence of a ladder. However, should the player still go down the next waterfall, a scream will be heard and that player will die.
- In the Terrorist Spawn Zone, there appears to be a squirrel or a chipmunk on a roof of a building (although when viewed closely, it is a rat from Half Life). If the creature is shot, it explodes and leaves behind gibs.
- The helicopter model is taken from Half-Life's AH-64 Apache.