“Let's take care of that bomb!”
The French GIGN (National Gendarmerie Intervention Group, French: Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale) is one of the groups in the Counter-Terrorist faction. The unit was founded by Lieutenant Christian Prouteau, six months after the Munich massacre during the Olympic Games in 1972, and a prison mutiny in Clairvaux Prison the year before.
They are famous for ending a 1994 Air France Flight 8969 hijacking at Marseille airport in France and are considered as one of the best counter-terrorist units across the globe.
France's elite Counter-Terrorist unit, the GIGN, was designed to be a fast response force that could decisively react to any large-scale terrorist incident. Consisting of no more than 100 men, the GIGN has earned its reputation through a history of successful ops.
The elite French counter-terrorism unit, GIGN was designed to be a fast response force that could react quickly to any large-scale terrorist incident.
From Counter-Strike 1.6, the head structure of the GIGN models have changed from a simple ski mask to a helmet with a yellow visor in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and later released games. Interestingly, in Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes, the visor is flipped up while in Source and for some players models in Global Offensive, the visor is deployed and covers up the eyes.
In Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and Counter-Strike: Source, some players avoid using it because of the distinctive yellow visor that can provide easier headshots for the enemies as a player can easily differentiate the head from the body, especially in Source.
In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, they retained their classic look. Their hand model features royal blue sleeves with black and dark grey gloves.
Deleted Scenes Uniform
Although the Deleted Scenes game files indicate that the GIGN was to be spotted wearing several variations of their uniform, only the classic one is seen in-game.
- Standard: Dark blue fatigues and dark blue Kevlar Assault Suit.
- Jungle: Blue camo fatigues.
- Unseen: Red fatigues
- Operative: Dark green helmet
- Unseen distorted model: Desert camo beret with balaclava
- Unseen fixed model: Dark Green helmet
- Officer: Red beret with GIGN Patch and sporting scars and beard
- Motorcade Assault (non-playable)
- The GIGN (as well as the GSG-9) have made appearances on all promotional pictures for every Counter-Strike game.
- They were the second model made playable in the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta.
- When using some weapons that are long or have a large stock, the end will clip through the user's visor.
- In Global Offensive, The GIGN are the only Counter-Terrorist faction to appear on all official game modes.
- National Gendarmerie Intervention Group at Wikipedia