France's elite Counter-Terrorist unit, the GIGN, was designed to be a fast response force that could decisively react to any large-scale terrorist incident. Consisting of no more than 100 men, the GIGN has earned its reputation through a history of successful ops.
In Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and Counter-Strike: Source, some players avoid using it because of the distinctive yellow visor that can provide easier headshots for the enemies as a player can easily differentiate the head from the body, especially in CS:S.
Although the Deleted Scenes game files indicate that the GIGN was to be spotted wearing several variations of their uniform, only the classic one is seen in-game.
- Standard: Dark blue fatigues and dark blue Kevlar Assault Suit.
- Jungle: Blue camo fatigues.
- Unseen: Red fatigues
- Operative: Dark green helmet
- Unseen distorted model: Desert camo beret with balaclava
- Unseen fixed model: Dark Green helmet
- Officer: Red beret with GIGN Patch and sporting scars and beard
They only appear during Motorcade Assault, they were part of the ground team supposed to eliminate the target. Four members were seen by the player pinned down by enemies, two died, one of them was wounded, the other operative threw a grenade at the enemy then ran with his wounded comrade to the extraction point. At the end only one survived and escaped with the player.
The GIGN was the second model made playable in the Global Offensive Beta. The hand model features royal blue sleeves with black and dark grey gloves. They appear on six maps: Cobblestone, Italy, Cache, Shoots, Sugarcane and Stmarc. In addition, they are painted on wooden targets in the Weapons Course.
They are only seen using:
- "Allons-y ! (Let's go!)"
- ―Round start
- "Suivez-moi !"
- ―Follow me!
- "J'ai besoin d'aide ! (I need help)"
- ―Need backup
- Main article: GIGN/Gallery
- The game file name for this player model is "gign".
- This faction only appears once in the Deleted Scenes mission Motorcade Assault, the least of any faction.
- They also have the least number of operatives in a faction, only 4.
- From Counter-Strike 1.6, the head structure of the GIGN models have changed from a simple ski mask to a helmet with a yellow visor in Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and later released games. Interestingly, in Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes, the visor is flipped up while in Source and for some players models in Global Offensive, the visor is deployed and covers up the eyes.
- The GIGN (as well as the GSG-9) have made appearances on all promotional pictures for every Counter-Strike game.
- National Gendarmerie Intervention Group at Wikipedia