The German GSG-9 is one of the groups in the Counter-Terrorist faction. The unit was founded by Ulrich Wegener, after the Munich Massacre in 1972 as part of the then Bundesgrenzschutz ("Federal Border Guard Force"), which was renamed Bundespolizei ("Federal Police") in 2005. As the name (and the word Polizei on their vests) implies, they fall under the auspices of the police instead of the military - Germany's consitution severely restricts domestic use of their armed forces.
Counter-Strike, Condition Zero and SourceEdit
The elite German counter-terrorism force, GSG 9 was established in 1973 and has reportedly discharged their weapons only five times in over 1,500 missions.
In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the hand model used by the GSG-9 features dark teal sleeves with a lighter shade of teal for the outside of their gloves, the inside being black.
The location of the "POLIZEI" on their kevlar vests was changed several times. It was on the back in Counter-Strike, on the side in Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes, and it was on the chest in Global Offensive.
Deleted Scenes UniformsEdit
GSG-9 operatives will wear different uniforms depending on terrain.
- Standard - Black combat outfit, and kevlar vest with "POLIZEI" on the side
- Unseen Regular - Green outfit, and black kevlar vest
- Jungle - Black camo, Blue chestplate
- Regular operative - black helmet, with dark blue mask
- Special - blue helmet, face exposed (in Downed Pilot)
- Officer - Black beret with Eagle patch, microphone and face exposed
The bots that use this model are:
They appear in 3 missions:
The GSG-9 appears on three official maps:
In addition, they are painted on wooden targets in the Weapons Course.
They appear on two maps:
Global Offensive QuotesEdit
―Move out! Move Out!
- The game file name for this player model is "gsg9".
- This player model is frequently used by players in dark maps such as Nuke, Prodigy and Oilrig.
- In Counter-Strike 1.6, the helmet of the original GSG-9 featured (unusable) goggles. Later on in Condition Zero, the goggles were removed and replaced with a visor in Global Offensive.
- They were the third model made playable in the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta.
- The GSG-9, alongside with the GIGN, were shown on the promotional pictures for all the Counter-Strike games.
- They were featured in the main CS:GO Official Trailer, arriving on Nuke to stop the Phoenix Connexion from bombing the plant.
- The GSG-9 have unused quotes mentioning hostages. Due to this, it may be likely this Counter-Terrorist team will appear in future official Hostage Rescue maps.
- GSG-9 at Wikipedia.