Cooper's interest in game modifications began when he played Excitebike for the Nintendo Entertainment System as it had the ability to create custom tracks. His first venture into 3D level design was with Doom II, though the first maps he actually released were designed for Duke Nukem 3D. When Half-Life came around, he also did a few maps for the title before Jaison Green eventually introduced him to Counter-Strike around Beta 3.
Initially, Cooper thought the mod was quite moderate as he had only played it against other people at his office. Once he actually played the mod in an online setting, he was hooked and around the time Beta 5 was released he wanted to see if he could pull of designing a good map for the mod. His first attempts at mapping included an assassination map though he would never finish any of these maps before he moved on to designing what would become Italy.
After working on the map for around 3-4 weeks finished it. He was pretty confident the map would go official when he was still designing it, but the popularity the map would achieve took him completely by surprise. The map was such a success that Valve Software would end up buying the rights to the map and include it as part of the retail version of the game.
Glen also worked on a few other maps for the game and had plans to eventually release them, but none of these maps were ever finished as he gradually started losing interest in the game in early 2002.
Professionally, Glen used to work at various companies involved in internet consulting before founding his own consulting company Pico Logic in 2007. He also formed the band Diamondwolf together with a friend in 2012.
List of maps
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 B-F Total Gaming Network - GlenC Interview. Archived from the original on 2002-06-19.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Save the Jukebox - Here's the long awaited interview with GlenC, the mapper of cs_italy!. Archived from the original on 2000-08-18.
- ↑ Counter-Strike Revolution - Glen Cooper Interview. Archived from the original on 2001-04-06.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 UKTerrorist: Mapping Interviews: GlenC - maker of cs_Italy. Archived from the original on 2001-04-24.
- ↑ [ h o t s h e e p ] - Projects. Archived from the original on 2001-06-08.
- ↑ Glen Cooper - Profile. Archived from the original on 2013-12-24.
- ↑ Pico Logic
- ↑ Diamondwolf Bio
HOTSHEEP - Clan founded by Glen Cooper