Jeepathon2k (de_jeepathon2k) was a vehicle test map in Counter-Strike BETA 7 for then newly added vehicle code. The map served to test two vehicles, specifically 2 jeeps for each team, that were avaliable for players. In fact, Jeepathon2k was designed to be a race track although the only way to win was to plant or defuse the bomb, as a bomb defusal scenario, or eliminate all members of the opposing team. Oddly, there were even 4 hostages present in the map that can be rescued, even if there was no labeled hostage rescue zone.
Aside that this map was only created to serve as a test, this map was very open-spaced, perfect for snipers. If sniper weapons were allowed, both teams could easily pin themselves down and lead to the elimination of many players. Next, it appears that players could not move at default speed, probably to encourage the usage of the vehicles, and made it nearly unbearable to move around the large map. Finally, the map was very boring to play with as the vehicles were very hard to control and gameplay can quickly become repetitive.
de_jeepathon2k - Vehicle Test Map
Mapping and Textures by:
Get in a car and run someone over!
(Press FIRE to continue)
- There are several barrels in the spawn zone of the Counter-Terrorists. These barrels can be shot with any weapon and will explode, causing damage to any nearby player. Sometimes, bots may throw an HE grenade or shoot at the barrels.
- Depending on the range, the Schmidt Scout and semi-auto sniper rifles may not be helpful in eliminating targets due to its less effective bullet velocity and it is less accurate compared to the AWP.
- All players' speed in this map is greatly reduced, probably to encourage players to use the jeeps.
- To use a jeep, use the interact key (default is E) at the control panel of the jeep and press and hold the up or down arrow key. To turn, use the strafe keys (default is A and D) to move left or right.
- Regardless, the vehicles were very awkward to drive with.
- If Bots are added, they may have trouble to kill the driver as they will usually shoot the car engine rather the windshield, however, should the bots appear back of the driver, they may have some advantages to kill the driver because their back is vulnerable.
- If player are playing with human players, players can enter passage seat to provide drive-by shooting to increase the chance of the winning. Player can also plant the bomb on the car and drive away to prevent the CT's to defuse it, however the driver must aware to drive slowly and avoid use the ramps or the bomb will drop out the car.
- The acceleration symbol for the jeep is the same as the tram in Half-Life.
- The Jeep at the CT spawn has the "Hot Wheels" logo.
- There is only one bombsite in this map, thus making Jeepathon2k the only beta map to lack two bombsites.
- If a Counter-Terrorist does escort the hostages through the water, the hostages will lack a "swimming animation".
- If someone does run over another player with one of the provided vehicles, the console will read "[Victim] was killed by a vehicle".
- If a driver kills a hostage with a jeep, the driver will not receive any penalties.