|First appearance||BETA 7.0|
|Last appearance||BETA 7.1|
Jeepathon2k (de_jeepathon2k) was a vehicle test map in Counter-Strike BETA 7 for the newly added vehicle code. The map served to test two vehicles, specifically 2 jeeps for each team, that were avaliable for players. In fact, Jeepathon2k was designed to be a race track although the only way to win was to plant or defuse the bomb, as a bomb defusal scenario, or eliminate all members of the opposing team. Oddly, there were even 4 hostages present in the map that could be rescued, even though there was no labelled hostage rescue zone.
Aside that this map was only created to serve as a test, this map was very open-spaced, perfect for snipers. If sniper weapons were allowed, both teams could easily pin themselves down and lead to the elimination of many players. Next, it appears that players could not move at default speed, probably to encourage the usage of the vehicles, and made it nearly unbearable to move around the large map. Finally, the map was very boring to play with as the vehicles were very hard to control (due to the GoldSrc engine is not made for driving vehicles) and gameplay can quickly become repetitive.
de_jeepathon2k - Vehicle Test Map
Mapping and Textures by:
Get in a car and run someone over!
(Press FIRE to continue)
- The name of the map is a portmanteau of Jeep and Marathon.
- There are several barrels in the Spawn Zone of the Counter-Terrorists. These barrels can be shot with any weapon and will explode, causing damage to any nearby player.
- Depending on the range, the Schmidt Scout and semi-auto sniper rifles (such as the G3SG1 and the SG550) may not be helpful in eliminating targets due to their ineffective bullet velocity and are fairly inaccurate compared to the AWP.
- All players' speed in this map is greatly reduced, probably to encourage players to use the jeeps.
- To use a jeep, use the interact key (default is E) at the control panel of the jeep and press and hold the forward (default is W) or backward key (default is S). To turn, use the strafe keys (default is A and D).
- Other players can enter the passenger seats to provide cover.
- Because the GoldSrc engine had limits, the vehicles are glitched in many ways:
- Passengers will fly into the air when a driver uses the ramps or bumps into another jeep, often causing heavy damage or even death. It is even possible to kill passengers while they are in their seats. However, the driver will not fly out the car because he is immobile while driving.
- The jeep may "sink" or become stuck into the ground if the player uses the ramp too many times.
- Sometimes, if the jeep hits the barrels or another player, the jeep will stop instantly.
- The only way to kill other players with the Jeep is by pushing the victim into a wall; a simple collision with the Jeep will not kill any player.
- By using the jeeps, players can make it harder for the enemy team to reach the C4. One can plant the bomb on the car and drive the planted C4 away, preventing the CTs from defusing it. However, driving too fast or using the ramps will cause the bomb to drop out of the car and become immobile again. You can also park a jeep above the C4.
- If a player is killed by one of the jeeps, the console will read "[Victim] was killed by a vehicle". The driver of the vehicle will still receive rewards (and penalties if the victim is the driver's teammate).
- Unlike players, hostages will die instantly when a jeep hits them, and the driver will not receive any penalties.
- The acceleration symbol for the jeep is the same as the acceleration symbol from the tram in Half-Life.
- The Jeep at the CT spawn zone has the "Hot Wheels" logo.
- There is only one bombsite in this map, which is a toilet that is located next to an area with water, thus making Jeepathon2k the only beta map to lack two bombsites.
- If this map is installed on Counter-Strike or Condition Zero, the CT spawn zone can be used to rescue hostages.
- If played on Condition Zero, hostages may enter into the tunnel near the bombsite rather than going to the CT spawn zone.
- If a Counter-Terrorist escorts the hostages through the water, they will lack a "swimming animation".