- For the M4A1 in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, see M4A1-S.
The Maverick M4A1 Carbine, often referred to as the M4, is an assault rifle featured in the Counter-Strike series, exclusive to the Counter-Terrorists. The counterpart for the Terrorists is the AK-47. In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, it was replaced by the M4A4 but was reincarnated in the Arms Deal update as the M4A1-S, taking up the same slot as its replacement.
The M4A1 is an extremely powerful assault rifle available exclusively to the Counter-Terrorists. Its high power, combined with its incredibly controllable recoil and spread, make it an effective AK-47 counterpart. The M4A1 can be mastered for every situation. For these reasons, the M4A1 is one of the most popular weapons in the Counter-Strike series and the most popular CT weapon. It is also chosen to be the default autobuy primary weapon for CT, the others being the AK-47, FAMAS, Galil, and the MP5.
Counter-Strike damage values
|Hitbox||Primary Attack||Secondary Attack|
|Chest & Arm||31||21||32||22|
|Chest & Arm||32||23|
The M4A1 is a moderate weight weapon. While wielded, the player's movement speed is 230 units per second (default speed is 250), meaning they suffer moderate speed reduction. The M4A1 is one of the many weapons able to shoot underwater.
- Fairly high damage per bullet
- Excellent at close to medium range
- Accurate when fired in bursts
- The silencer is ideal for stealth
- Higher rate of fire than AK-47
- Lighter than most Assault rifles
- Low recoil and accurate
- Silencer increases damage at close range in Counter-Strike 1.6
- Damage per shot is inferior to the AK-47
- More expensive than the AK-47 as the M4A1 costs $600 more
- In Counter-Strike 1.6, the silencer decreases accuracy
- Silencer increases damage fall off
- Outclassed at long range combat by sniper rifles
- Not very accurate at long ranges when firing this weapon continuously
- Counter-Terrorists exclusive
- Due to the low recoil and good rate of fire, the M4A1 can be a deadly weapon against enemy players at close-range. Basically, users can continuously fire this rifle if they are accustomed to the recoil.
- Eliminating targets is normally easy; just be sure to score a headshot and keep firing to finish off assailants.
- Aim for the legs and spray bullets when encountering an enemy assailant at medium range. This strategy may allow you to score a headshot. Alternatively, fire in bursts and aim for the head.
- Unlike the AK-47, this rifle is not made to engage enemy players at long range, although it is possible to successfully hit an opponent at the head. For long ranged combat, using a silencer may not be preferable unless enemy is not aware of your position. Firing in short bursts is recommended and avoid engaging snipers unless in close proximity.
- If you do plan to use the silencer, be sure to attach it before entering combat, preferably at freeze time.
- Avoid close contact with users at all times!
- Use a flashbang and finish off M4A1 users.
- The AWP and other long range weaponry is a good choice to wield against enemies. The Schmidt Scout is not recommended though, unless you are good at scoring headshots or they are not aware.
- More accurate weapons, such as the Krieg 552, can outgun the M4 users.
- More powerful weapon or weapons with higher rate of fire, can be used at close range.
- For long range combat, the AK-47 can easily eliminate M4A1 users, they might use burst fire against you, so you still need to engage with caution.
| Maverick M4A1 Carbine Expert|
Kill 1,000 enemy players with the Maverick M4A1 Carbine.
Comparison to AK-47 (CS1.6 & CZ)Edit
- Higher fire rate (685rpm vs 600rpm)
- Less recoil (-12%)
- Lighter (-4%)
- Less ammo cost (-$20)
- Can attach the Silencer
- More accurate
- Same magazine size (30/90)
- Lower base damage (-2)
- Expensive (+$600)
- Longer reload (+0.6 seconds)
- Requires two shots on the head with helmet to kill
- Main article: Maverick M4A1 Carbine/Gallery
- The database file name for this weapon is m4a1.
- When taking the silencer off the M4A1, it is simply the sound of it being put on in reverse. The same applies for the USP.
- Regardless if you attached the silencer or not, it will be seen at third person view all the time in Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes.
- Some bots will automatically add silencers by themselves but some will remove it; this feature is first seen in the modded version of Counter-Strike, later on its common in Source version.
- In Condition Zero, when the silencer is attached, the player seems to draw the weapon faster than when it is without the silencer. The same effect happens in Deleted Scenes and Counter-Strike (Xbox).
- In Counter-Strike: Source, the silenced firing version of the M4A1 was re-used from Deleted Scenes.
- The firing sound of the silenced M4A1 in Counter-Strike: Source is re-used for the Cleaner's Carbine in Team Fortress 2 (an unlockable weapon for The Sniper class)
- In early beta versions of Counter-Strike, the viewmodel of the M4A1 had a usable ACOG scope. It is still attached to the M4A1's worldmodel in version 1.6 and the HUD icon in Condition Zero. However, this is fixed in Deleted Scenes and Counter-Strike: Source.
- In some versions of Counter-Strike, the model of the M4A1's fire selector switch is turned to semi-automatic although the weapon fires automatically.
- The gun in first person shows the ejector facing towards the player but if the gun is viewed by another player, the ejector is facing the opposite. On the actual M4 (and any AR-15 variant), the ejection port is on the right side since the gun was designed for right hand use.
- In Deleted Scenes, the M4A1 is the weapon of choice of friendly NPCs despite the fact that some military services in real life do not use the M4A1 as their primary weapon.
- In Deleted Scenes, the M4A1 was very different from its multiplayer variant and has a higher damage.
- In Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source, when the player reloads the M4, the animation has the player pull back the forward assist during the reload and draw animation. However, on a real M4A1, the forward assist is actually struck forward after reloading to make sure the bolt is properly seated so the weapon doesn't malfunction.
- The hotkey for this weapon is b43 (CT-only)
- In Counter-Strike: Source, the barrel is significantly shorter at first person view, thus it has different silencer attaching animation.
- In Condition Zero and Deleted Scenes, the player pulls the charging handle during the draw and reload animation unlike in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source.
- Before CS:GO, it was one of three weapons to retain it's real name, the others being the Five-seveN, the MAC-10 and the M249.
- M4A1 at Wikipedia.