|Magazine capacity||20 / 40|
|Rate of fire||600 RPM|
|Reload time||3.1 s|
| Movement speed|
(units per second)
|225 / 250 (90%)|
|Kill Award|| $300 (Competitive)|
|Recoil Control||19 / 26 (73%)|
|Accurate Range||28 m|
“With a smaller magazine than its unmuffled counterpart, the silenced M4A1 provides quieter shots with less recoil and better accuracy.”
The M4A1-S is a Counter-Terrorist exclusive rifle in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and was added in the game on the August 14, 2013 Arms Deal update. It is a variant of the M4A4 assault rifle, replacing it if equipped in the loadout. It is a successor of the Maverick M4A1 Carbine from previous Counter-Strike games.
The M4A1-S is the reintroduction of the original M4A1 from earlier Counter-Strike games, originally replaced by the M4A4 in Global Offensive. The M4A1-S in game is based off a Colt Model 723 "M16A2 Carbine" (an early predecessor to the M4 Carbine identified by the non-removable carry handle) with an "M4" profile barrel.
In game, the weapon's capacity and reserve capacity is reduced compared to its predecessor, at 20 rounds per magazine and 40 rounds in reserve, which is the lowest out of all assault rifles. Its rate of fire is slightly lowered at 600 RPM, slightly lower than most assault rifles.
The M4A1-S is equipped with a silencer, which is attached when receiving the weapon, and can be manually detached (and reattached) by pressing the secondary fire key. The time taken for detaching and reattaching the silencer is greatly increased, so it is unadvised to do it in the midst of combat.
The silencer is best kept on because removing it increases recoil and decreases accuracy, making it less effective overall than its non-silenced counterpart M4A4. One reason to do so however is that the silencer noticeably increases the length of the weapon, which may make stealth around corners slightly more difficult.
With the silencer on, the weapon has a quiet firing sound, low recoil, and high accuracy. It also doesn't fire tracers. These properties make the M4A1-S suitable for long-range tapfiring.
|Chest & Arm||32||23|
|Abdomen & Pelvis||41||28|
- If you can spare ammo and/or cannot evade more than two assailants, spray bullets at close to medium ranges.
- Almost always keep the silencer on. Removing it provides almost no advantages as it increases the recoil and spread, decreases accuracy while jumping, giving away your location more easily with un-suppressed shots, and is less effective than the M4A4. Firing with the silencer may not always prevent attention from alerted foes, but they will have a harder time in pinpointing your location if your position is concealed. The silencer however, will increase the length of the gun so it may be removed in order to shorten the gun and hold a position easier (e.g beside the vents in Bombsite A in Nuke). It can also be removed to make your decoy grenade louder.
- Hit and run is a good way to maintain stealth. A player can be more effective and maintain stealth when flanking or attacking from the rear.
- The magazine capacity and ammo reserve are the lowest of all the other automatic rifles. Counteract this by limiting pre-fire and implementing controlled, sure shots.
- You can combine the M4A1-S and USP-S to make you even more subtle, but beware of their very low ammo capacity.
1 Minute To Midnight (826)
| Guardian Co-op Challenge: Play as a Counter-Terrorist with a partner and protect the bombsite from enemies on Nuke.
Score a win by getting 40 enemy kills with M4A1-S. Can only earn money from kill rewards.
|“While Valeria recovers, it falls on Naomi to maintain the status quo and show that the powerbase of The Phoenix has not eroded. She's a zealot who truly believes in her cause.”|
Thrill Kill (904)
|Guardian Co-op Challenge: Play as a Counter-Terrorist with a partner and protect the bombsite from enemies on Thrill.||
|“A theme park and wetwork? You're basically living out my dream vacation. I'm not even going to pretend I'm not jealous.”|
- The "S" in M4A1-S designates "silencer" or "suppressed".
- The M4A1-S shares its reload animations with the M4A4 and SCAR-20.
- All three involve "slapping" the bolt catch (a small, paddle-shaped lever on the side of the receiver) on the side of the gun, a process also known as "sending the bolt home". Although meant pressed with the thumb, some shooters prefer slapping it for convenience.
- The magazine model of the M4A1-S depicts a curved 30-round 5.56x45 STANAG magazine (also used on M4A4), despite still having a 20-round capacity.
- Statistically, the M4A1-S is more popular than the M4A4 despite the magazine reduction, arguably due to its silencer and more controllable recoil.
- The M4A1-S model originally had no safety lever modeled, which was added later (though it is pointed at the Safe position). A strange bar was also present in front of the bolt catch on the original model, which was removed later.
- ↑ http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive#Colt_Model_723
- ↑ Balancing Act on Counter-Strike Blog
- M4A1 at Wikipedia.