|Alternate name(s)||Gearbox M60|
|Used by|| Counter-Terrorists|
|Reload time||6 seconds|
Counter-Strike and Condition ZeroEdit
The weapon was cut from Counter-Strike and Condition Zero as part of Gearbox's Software built of both games. According to an interview with Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, the M60 would get more accurate the longer it was fired and its price was $5000. It is seen fired by both Terrorist and Counter-Terrorist in the first Gearbox trailer of Condition Zero and seen fired once from first person perspective in an interview with Randy Pitchford.
Two HUD icons belonging to the M60 exist in the game files. Although it could have been just Ritual Entertainment reusing Gearbox's HUD schemes and updating them, their presence still suggest the weapon might have actually been considered for the game.
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero: Deleted ScenesEdit
The weapon appears in Deleted Scenes, where it is mostly used by the AI. The player has 4 occasions to acquire and use it :
- Enemies wielding the weapon have a very high damage per second ratio making them very dangerous, especially on higher difficulties. Some missions have bosses wielding this gun, so taking them out is a must.
- When hit by its fire, the player will get a wildly shaking screen with heavy blood sprites splattering all over. This causes both visual and accuracy handicap making combat and retaliation much more difficult, especially when using sniper rifles.
- Enemies do not reload when using the weapon, they will endlessly and continuously fire.
- Due to the nature of its caliber, the M60 does more damage than the M249, but has higher recoil.
- Controlling the weapon requires 2 or 3 round bursts, which is fairly easy to pull thanks to the weapon's slow firing rate.
- Alternatively, aim for the head. One headshot will kill most enemies instantly.
- The M60's ammunition reserve is not shared with other weapons using the same cartridge.
- This weapon makes a re-appearance in Left 4 Dead 2 as part of the "The Passing" DLC albeit with a larger magazine capacity of 150 rounds, a unique magazine and altered appearance and mechanics.
- The M60 is modeled after the E4 variant, an improved M60E3 that is portable for foot soldier use.
- It has the fourth highest damage of any weapon in Deleted Scenes, after the M2 Browning, M72 LAW and the AWP.
- The M60 uses the same 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge as the Scout and the G3/SG-1 but does not share ammunition pools (the former's being greater with 200 to 90 rounds)
- While the M60 is commonly used by Terrorists in the Deleted Scenes, some Counter-Terrorist operatives can be seen wielding it. One notable case is the operative in Recoil fending off Terrorists at the extraction point.
- NPCs fire this weapon from the shoulder rather than the hip, despite the M60 being heavier and having higher recoil.
- AI with the M60 never performs melee attacks.