|Riot in Cell Block 9|
|Creator(s)|| Gearbox Software|
Terrorists: Prevent the Counter-Terrorists from rescuing the Hostages or eliminate the Counter-Terrorists.
Penal was originally designed by Gearbox Software when they were in charge of developing Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. The map was likely originally cut from the game at an early point back when Gearbox was still developing the game.
It would seem that once Ritual Entertainment took over development of Condition Zero, they decided to resurrect the once cut map and began working on it further. Plans were for the map the be featured in both Counter-Strike (Xbox) and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, but for unknown reasons it was not present in either game.
Despite being worked on by two different development studios, the map is not known to have made any media appearances. However, coinciding with the Half-Life 2 leak, a version of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero was also leaked. This leak included a fully playable version of the map compiled for the Xbox version of the game.[n 1]
- Penal may have been inspired by Prison, another cut map.
- ↑ Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Information Vault - Josh Jeffcoat Interview.
- ↑ Half.Life.Including.Condition.Zero.READ.NFO-ANON - Presence of czcs_penal.wad and xcs_penal.wad
- ↑ Half.Life.Including.Condition.Zero.READ.NFO-ANON - cs_penal.bsp entity data reference to xcs_penal.wad.
- ↑ The Xbox version of the game uses a different lightning system causing the map to appear darker than intended when played on the PC version.