|Krieg 550 Commando|
|Alternate name(s)||SIG 550|
|Magazine capacity||30 / 90|
|Rate of fire||240 RPM|
|Weight (loaded)||7.02 kg|
|Projectile weight||4 g|
|Muzzle velocity||2900 ft/s|
|Muzzle energy||1570 J|
|Reload time||3.8 seconds|
| Movement speed|
(units per second)
The Krieg 550 Commando, sometimes referred to as the SG 550 or SIG 550, is a scoped, semi-automatic rifle featured in all of the Counter-Strike games until Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, where it was replaced with the SCAR-20.
The Krieg 550 Commando is a powerful but expensive semi-automatic sniper rifle available only to the Counter-Terrorists. In Source, it has increased accuracy and tighter group of impact, giving the SG 550 has similar effectiveness to the G3SG/1 despite using a smaller caliber.
However, due to being economically inefficient, the Magnum Sniper Rifle is often chosen over the SG 550 and the G3SG/1.
Because it is less accurate compared to other bolt-action sniper rifles, higher level bots that use the SG 550 will usually fire in short bursts which may sometimes struggle to kill enemies at almost any range. However, if the difficulty is set to easy, bots will always spray bullets and they can use it effectively. In Counter-Strike: Source however, bots can achieve multi-kills with the SG 550 regardless of difficulty.
The SG 550 is the only Sniper rifle available for the CTs in assassination maps. As a result, it's often a good weapon to counter enemy AWP users.
|Chest & Arm||69||50|
The SG 550 is a heavyweight weapon. While wielded, the player's movement speed is 210 units per second (the default speed is 250), meaning they suffer heavy speed reduction. While zoomed in, their movement speed is 150 units per second. The SG 550 is one of the many weapons able to shoot underwater.
- High damage, can kill a target in two hits or less
- Higher rate of fire than the Magnum Sniper Rifle or Schmidt Scout, making it far more forgiving
- Accurate when spraying when using 2x magnification in medium to long combat
- High magazine capacity (30 rounds) and has the highest capacity of all sniper rifles
- Cheaper than the Magnum Sniper Rifle, unlike the D3/AU-1
- Can be deadly on small groups of enemies
- Shares the same 5.56mm ammo used by most assault rifles, making restocking the weapon easier
- Low recoil
- Unwieldy at close range, especially in the hands of an inexperienced player
- Quite expensive
- When scoped in with 10x magnification, the user can be disorientated by the shaking cross-hair when firing
- Less accuracy at long ranges than the other sniper rifles
- No crosshair when un-zoomed
- Inflicts the lowest damage out of all sniper rifles
- Crouch and stop moving for better accuracy.
- Do not try to score a headshot if you are unable to; inflicting damage on the torso of targets are powerful enough.
- In 1.6 and Condition Zero, there is an accuracy bug where the first two shots of this weapon are very inaccurate, you should shoot them before attacking an enemy so your accuracy will be normal.
- At medium and long range, crouch and activate the 2x scope. Aim for the stomach and start firing non-stop. Two to three shots will kill the enemy.
- If an enemy does not notice you and he is stationary, take time to shoot his head for a guaranteed kill.
- If you are caught in close quarters, its possible to spray without using the scope, the same applies to the D3/AU-1; although unreliable, it is a lot more feasible than its bolt-action counterparts. A sidearm is recommended for more reliable engagements.
- Due to its high damage, a Night Hawk .50C is a good backup weapon for engaging enemies at close range.
- The Krieg 550 Commando can be a good anti-rush weapon when combined with the Smoke Grenade. Lay down smoke in a chokepoint where enemies are likely to rush through and fire through the smoke, suppressing the enemies and possibly getting a kill.
- In Assassination maps, Counter-Terrorists cannot purchase the AWP. This is the best replacement if you need to snipe while playing on the Counter-Terrorist side.
In the Tour of Duty, the Krieg 550 Commando kill challenge appears in:
|Normal||Kill 2 enemies without dying|
|Hard / Expert||Kill 3 enemies without dying|
|Hard / Expert||Kill 2 enemies and survive the round|
The Krieg 550 Commando appears in Lost Cause, found after blowing up a stack of crates. The rifle is noticeably less accurate than its multiplayer version, and additional ammunition for the weapon does not appear in the level. The Krieg 550 Commando can also be seen behind the weapons counter in Counter Terrorist Training.
| Krieg 550 Kommando Expert|
Kill 500 enemy players with the Krieg 550 Commando.
| Snipe Hunter|
Kill 100 zoomed-in enemy snipers.
| Eye to Eye|
Kill a zoomed-in enemy sniper with a sniper rifle of your own.
| Hip Shot|
Kill an enemy with an un-zoomed sniper rifle.
| Happy Camper|
Get two kills standing in the same spot with a zoomed sniper rifle.
- "Krieg" means "war" in German.
- The SG 550's "cocking" or "cycling" sound is shared with the M4A1.
- In the Counter-Strike beta, the G3SG/1 was the semi-auto sniper rifle for both factions. In Counter-Strike 1.0, the SG 550 was added as the Counter-Terrorist exclusive semi-auto sniper rifle and the G3SG/1 became the Terrorist exclusive semi-auto sniper rifle.
- The suffix Commando in its name is a misnomer as the term denotes the smallest possible derivative of a full sized assault rifle with a shortened barrel, used for close quarter engagements by special forces (e.g. SIG SG 552 Commando for the SG 552 and Colt Commando for the Colt M16). The term Marksman/Sharpshooter would be more appropriate.
- SIG SG 550 at Wikipedia