- "The SSG08 bolt-action is a low-damage but very cost-effective sniper rifle, making it a smart choice for early-round long-range marksmanship."
- ―Official description
|Rate of fire||
|Movement speed (units per second)||
- For the weapon's predecessor, see Schmidt Scout.
The Steyr SSG 08 (Scharfschützengewehr 2008 lit. Sniper Rifle Model 2008) is a bolt-action sniper rifle developed by Austrian-based Steyr-Mannlicher, developed in 2008 as an evolution of the similar SSG 04. Main features of the SSG 08 include a folding butt-stock, a muzzle brake with the ability to be replaced by a silencer, and is chambered in calibers like the 7.62 NATO, .338 Lapua, and .300 Winchester Magnum.
It appears in Global Offensive chambered in the 7.62 NATO round. It features a 10 round box magazine and the player keeps 90 rounds in reserve. It features the second highest unscoped accuracy and is the lightest sniper rifle in the game. Just like all other sniper rifles, it has two zoom magnification levels.
|Chest & Arm||87||74|
|Abdomen & Pelvis||109||93|
- High damage
- Relatively high unscoped accuracy
- It's accurate at the peak and descent of a jump
- Slightly faster rate of fire than the AWP
- User suffers a lower speed penalty than with AWP
- User maintains same speed when moving while using the scope
- High reserve ammo capacity
- Requires 2 shots on the body unless a headshot or unarmored stomach is scored
- Slow rate of fire
- When using the scope, it's still an accurate weapon but has a larger bullet spread than the AWP when it's using the scope as well
- Faster rate of fire (47 RPM vs 41 RPM)
- Lighter (-20%)
- Cheaper (-$2750)
- Holds more reserve ammunition total (+60)
- Accurate when firing from the hip
- Higher value reward money
- Same magazine capacity (10)
- Same firing mode (Bolt-action)
- Same reload time
- Lower damage
- The highest zoom setting has less magnification than the AWP's highest zoom setting.
- It's less accurate when using the scope than the AWP
- Use this Sniper rifle if your money is low.
- Strafing is extremely essential in wielding this rifle. It is recommended to take cover when cocking the rifle after firing a shot.
- Scoring headshots is easier with this weapon due to its scope and accuracy (not comparable to the AWP). Be warned though that this is harder to implement once enemies are aware you are armed with this rifle, especially when engaging targets.
- You can aim for the stomach of enemies in earlier rounds, if targets are not wearing armor, as it will kill them instantly. If they do have armor, it will require another shot to kill them.
- Carry a dependable sidearm for close-quarter engagements, any pistol that suits you will do fine. If you have hit a target but the opponent was not killed, a single shot from any moderate damage pistol is sufficient to eliminate him at close range. Usually, the Desert Eagle and CZ75 Auto are sufficient although a P250 can work as well.
- If possible, crouch and aim for the head of unaware enemies. If they are attempting to intercept your position, fire at the stomach or torso.
- Avoid engaging groups of enemies. The SSG 08 does not provide enough firepower to counter more than two players.
- Standing still and jumping while scoped gives you a 100% accuracy at the peak of your jump. Use this to kill enemies from behind cover. (Outside on de_nuke)
- Any automatic weapon is able to take out such snipers. Submachine guns, such as the MP7, can easily counter users at close range.
- Keep strafing; users may have a hard time in hitting you.
- If you (think) a SSG 08 user has hit you but was unable to kill you, try to intercept his location quickly before he can fire another shot. If the assailant cannot be found, retreat and/or find cover. Note that the enemy wielder may wallbang so take care in finding support.
- The AWP can be used against SSG 08 users. However, be careful when facing experienced users, as they may hit you in the head.
- When combat has not occurred yet (usually, at the beginning of a round), snipers with this weapon may effectively camp and await enemies to exit out of enclosed pathways/doors. (Example: The tunnel passage of bombsite B in Dust2.) If a user is highly skilled, that player can eliminate an unaware, rushing target with a headshot. Throw a flashbang at suspected hiding spots, find another infiltration route, or avoid those areas completely.
Counter-Strike: Global OffensiveEdit
| SSG 08 Expert|
Kill 100 enemies with the SSG 08.
| Snipe Hunter|
Kill 100 zoomed-in enemy snipers.
| Eye to Eye|
Kill a zoomed-in enemy sniper with a sniper rifle of your own.
| Hip Shot|
Kill an enemy with an un-zoomed sniper rifle.
- Through the development of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the SSG 08 has changed its skin 3 times. In Alpha and very early Beta versions, the SSG 08 had a grey color with a silver scope. On the May 25th update, the SSG 08 was fully remodeled and included a black body with a new scope texture, On the August 10th 2012 update, the black color was changed to a grey camouflage, giving it a slight resemblance to the Scout.
- Unlike the Scout, you will not gain a speed bonus when equipped with the SSG 08.
- Originally, the reload animations of the SSG 08 were not identical to the AWSM.
- SSG08 at Wikipedia