A silencer, also known as a suppressor, is an applicable barrel extension. The silencer is mainly used to reduce the amount of noise and flash generated by firing a weapon. Contrary to popular belief, a silencer doesn't make a gun silent. Instead, it reduces the noise emitted from the weapon, which can make normally distinct sounds unrecognizable. Silencers are important, usually for ambushes or any other stealthy attacking method. It also gives some weapons that are available to be silenced some advantages and disadvantages.
In the Counter-Strike games, the usage of silencers were primarily exclusive to the CT team (although the Terrorists can purchase the USP in older games).
- Lower the weapon's noise, harder for enemies to detect your position.
- The silencer itself is free (only the weapon itself costs money)
- In Counter-Strike, it increases the M4's headshot damage by 3 points at point blank range and 1 for the other body part locations
- In CS:GO, the silencer is already attached for the USP-S and the M4A1-S.
- Slightly increases accuracy in CS:GO.
- In Counter-Strike: Source, the silencer removes the muzzle flash fired from a weapon.
- Increases damage fall off for the M4 only in all games prior to CS:GO
- Decreases the accuracy of the weapon in Counter-Strike
- Increases recoil and spread of the USP in Counter-Strike
- Attaching and detaching the silencer costs time
- In CS:GO, the silencers cost more time to attach and detach unlike the previous games
- Lowers overall damage for the USP in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source
When using the silencer, in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source damage is greatly reduced for the USP and damage fall off increases for the M4 so be sure to only use it for close-ranged combat purposes or scoring headshots at longer ranges.
Counter-Strike: Global OffensiveEdit
The silencer no longer reduces damage at all compared to when it's unsilenced.
In Counter-Strike, for long ranges, the silencer should be removed due to its accuracy penalty but also remember the silencer does not affect the accuracy or recoil of the gun in Counter-Strike: Source.
Counter-Strike: Global OffensiveEdit
Remember that the firing rate of silenced weapons is not altered in any way thus engaging users has the same level of danger even if they have removed the silencer(s).
The advantages included are the higher damage at close range for the M4 in Counter-Strike and increased stealth abilities that can allow the user to remain hidden and become harder to be detected by enemies. This includes bots as they will have a harder time to locate you if your weapon is suppressed. In some maps such as Office and Militia, the enclosed areas provide silencer users excellent cover for breaching or for hiding.
Note that the silencer reduces the noise, not removing it. Enemies close to you can still hear you, provided that there are no other noises.
In Counter-Strike: Source, the silencer removes the muzzle flash produced by weapons on fire, which allow the user harder to become located by other enemies at darker areas. Note: Bots are not affected by the darkness and they can still see enemy clearly even at darkest area.
Staying with allied players who do not have silenced weapons may cause the enemy team to detect your team members and yourself, even if you have a silenced weapon.
If you suspect a large group of enemies nearby and are alert for you to enter, you can either throw flashbangs and smoke grenades and fire your silenced weapons. This is important because in CS 1.6, flashbangs will only affect the sight of players, not hearing thus silenced weapons will give players an edge to eliminate enemies before they realize they're being assaulted.
Running, instead of walking will reduce the effectiveness of the silencer as enemies may hear you. Due to this, it is advisable to walk when entering territory in which enemies could be hiding or stalking for targets.
The silencer is not effective in Deleted Scenes. Enemies can still detect you even if you fire the weapon with the silencer. However, some players will still attach the silencer to lower the weapon's recoil or simply for fun.
When to attach/detach the SilencerEdit
Be sure to attach the silencer during freeze time or before you enter into combat since the attachment process takes time and leaves the player vulnerable to attack from enemies.
Excluding CS:GO, it is worthy to note that silenced weapons do not provide enough advantages when you are in open-spaced areas, unless enemies have not detected you yet or you can score headshots. Unless you would like to remain stealthy, it may be best to remove the silencer unless you plan to get close to the opposing force. Note that it is highly advised to do this at freeze time in any Counter-Strike game due to its lengthy detach time.
- Main Article: Silencer/Gallery
- In the earlier Counter-Strike games, it is possible to attach and detach the silencer faster to the M4A1 and the KM .45 Tactical. This is done by quickly switching to another weapon and then back to the weapon with the silencer during the attachment/detachment process. If done quickly, the result is that the silencer is now attached or removed from the weapon.
- However, this has been fixed in Counter-Strike: Source as you must fully complete the time taken to apply and remove the silencer. If another weapon is selected at any time during the animation, the silencer will not attach/detach and the process must be restarted. Although, if you attach a silencer at the end of the round and a new one starts before you could finish attaching it, the silencer will be already in your weapon.
- There is a rare glitch in which picking up a silenced weapon (if the previous wielder was killed when trying to attach/detach the silencer) will cause the player to continuously attach and detach the silencer and the weapon will not fire.
- Regardless if you attached the silencer or not, it will be always be seen at third person view in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. This was fixed in Source.
- The TMP is the only weapon that use fixed silencer.
- The silencer on the kill icons in Counter-Strike 1.6 and in Condition Zero will always appear regardless if it was attached or not. However, in Source, this is the opposite as the silencer will never show up.
- In Global Offensive, the silencer will appear in the HUD kill icon if it was used by an assailant. If the silencer was not used, it will not be seen in the icon.
- The HUD icon of the TMP never show its silencer. This is probably implemented to reduce the size of the icon.
- Originally, silenced weapons were not available in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. However, due to overwhelming fan support, Valve has added the USP-S and the M4A1-S. Unlike in previous installments, these weapons have low ammunition reserve (and lower magazine capacity for the M4A1-S).
- Silencer at Wikipedia