A silencer, also known as a suppressor, is an applicable barrel extension. The silencer is mainly used to reduce the amount of noise and flash generated by firing a weapon. Contrary to popular belief, a silencer doesn't make a gun silent. Instead, it reduces the noise emitted from the weapon, which can make normally distinct sounds unrecognizable. Silencers are important, usually for ambushes or any other stealthy attacking method. It also gives some weapons that are available to be silenced some advantages and disadvantages.
- Lower the weapon's noise, harder for enemies to detect your position.
- The silencer itself is free (only the weapon itself costs money)
- In Counter-Strike only, it increases the M4's headshot damage by 3 points at point blank range and 1 for the other body part locations
- In CS:GO, the silencer is already attached for the USP-S and the M4A1-S.
- Increases damage fall off for the M4 only in all games prior to CS:GO
- Decrease the accuracy of the weapon in Counter-Strike only
- Increases recoil and spread of the USP in Counter-Strike only
- Attaching and detaching the silencer costs time
- In CS:GO, the silencer cost more time to attach and detach unlike the previous games
- Lowers damage overall for the USP in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Souce
When using the silencer, in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source damage is greatly reduced for the USP and damage fall off increases for the M4 so be sure to only use it for close-ranged combat purposes. However, in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the silencer no longer reduces damage at all compared to when it's unsilenced.
In Counter-Strike, for long ranges, the silencer should be removed due to its accuracy penalty but also remember the silencer does not affect the accuracy or recoil of the gun in Counter-Strike: Source.
The only advantages included are the higher damage at close range for the M4 in Counter-Strike only and increased stealth abilities that can allow the user to remain hidden and become harder to be detected by enemies. This includes bots as they will have a harder time to locate you if your weapon is suppressed. In some maps such as office and militia, the enclosed areas provide silencer users excellent cover for breaching or for hiding.
Do remember that the firing rate of silenced weapons is not altered in any way thus engaging users has the same level of danger even if they have removed the silencer(s).
Be sure to attach the silencer during freeze time or before you enter into combat since the attachment process takes time and leaves the player vulnerable to attack from enemies.
It is worthy to note that silenced weapons do not provide enough advantages when you are in open-spaced areas, unless enemies have not detected you yet or you can score headshots. Unless you would like to remain stealthy, it may be best to remove the silencer unless you plan to get close to the opposing force. Note that it is highly advised to do this at freeze time in CS:GO due to its lengthy detach time.
The silencer is not effective in Deleted Scenes, enemies can still detect you even if you fire the weapon with the silencer. However, some players will still attach the silencer to lower the weapon's recoil or simply for fun.
Main Article: Silencer/Gallery
- In the earlier Counter-Strike games, it is possible to attach and detach the silencer faster to the M4A1 and the KM .45 Tactical. This is done by quickly switching to another weapon and then back to the weapon with the silencer during the attachment/detachment process. If done quickly, the result is that the silencer is now attached or removed from the weapon.
- However, this has been fixed in Counter-Strike: Source as you must fully complete the time taken to apply and remove the silencer, although if you attach a silencer at the end of the round and a new one starts before you could finish attaching it, the silencer will be already in your weapon.
- Regardless if you attached the silencer or not, it will be seen at third person view all the time in Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
- Originally, silenced weapons were not available in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. However, due to overwhelming fan support, Valve has added the USP-S and the M4A1-S. Unlike in previous installments, these weapons have low ammunition reserve (and lower clip capacity for the M4A1-S).
- Silencer at Wikipedia