|First appearance||BETA 6.5|
|Last appearance||Counter-Strike 1.5|
This map takes place somewhere in Alaska but its specific location is not known.
The map was designed by David "Zaphod Beeblebrox" Marsh and featured textures made by Chris "MacMan" Ashton. The map was based on a previous unofficial map that Marsh had made called as_desert. As there was already an abundance of desert themed maps, Marsh decided to change the map to use a snow theme. In addition, a second VIP escape zone was added and an alternate underground route was also added. The total build time of the map was 2 to 3 months. Like the predecessor it was based on, as_tundra was also initially released as a custom map.
After the custom map release, a few alterations were made to the map. The most notable of these was the extension of the underground route to the building just by the Counter-Terrorist spawn to provide an alternate route. This updated version of the map was released together with beta 6.5. After becoming part of the official map rotation, the map received no further updates. The last appearance of the map was in version 1.5.
The map was not included in the retail version of Counter-Strike.
- In some cases, the bodies of players will be visible through walls if shadows are enabled. Due to this, if a Counter-Terrorist is armed with a sniper rifle, they can reach a window and kill Terrorists without having direct contact with them. This only applies for older versions prior to CS 1.6.
- Despite being removed from the game itself, the map specific radio commands still exist and can be used if the map is added to the game files.
- The map has 15 spawn points for Counter-Terrorists, but only 10 spawn points for Terrorists.
- The map is one of the more popular maps in the assassination scenario.
- Tundra is the only cut map to be a featured screenshot on the Counter-Strike store page.
- ↑ B-F Total Gaming Network - Zaphod Interview (Archived from the original on 2002-06-17)
- ↑ CS-Nation - Zaphod Beeblebrox Interview (Archived from the original on 2001-08-21)