War Games is a series of game modes that consists of twists on classic gameplay. It was released last May 23, 2017 update with Operation Hydra as one of the three Hydra Events, alongside Wingman and Weapons Expert.
It includes six different twists based on the casual, demolition and deathmatch gamemodes. These are: Heavy Assault Suit based on the casual gamemode, Headshots Only based on the deathmatch gamemode, Hunters-Gatherers, Stab Stab Zap based on the casual gamemode, The Flying Scoutsman based on the casual gamemode and Trigger Discipline based on the casual gamemode. When the match ends, a vote for a next war game will begin or for next map.
The maps are rotated daily, with 3 different maps for each war game in the rotation. For example, the gamemode Headshots Only takes place at Agency at the beginning of the week. It will change to Inferno the next day, and finally Black Gold.
Heavy Assault Suit
Heavy Assault Suit is a war game that is based on the casual gamemode. It includes the Heavy Assault Suit which is available in the buy menu for $6000, replacing the normal Kevlar + Helmet that is otherwise unavailable for purchase in casual. This war game is playable only on bomb defusal maps.
Headshots Only is a war game that is based on the deathmatch gamemode. Only headshot and backstab damage is counted in this mode, shots that hit anywhere apart from the head are not counted. All players spawn with armor, but without a helmet.
Hunters-Gatherers is a war game based on the deathmatch gamemode. Kills in this mode drops Dog Tags. Players must collect the most amount of dog tags (either from their teammates or enemies) before the end of the match. Bonus weapons will drop an extra dog tag for every kill.
Stab Stab Zap
The Flying Scoutsman
Known as Scoutknives to most veteran players, The Flying Scoutsman is a war game that is based on the casual gamemode. Players are restricted to only the SSG 08 and the knife, while the gravity is reduced, midair acceleration is increased, and the accuracy for shots while moving and jumping is increased, allowing players to move and shoot each other with SSG 08 midair with ease.
Trigger Discipline is a war game that is based on the casual gamemode. Players lose health (the amount of health lost varies on the weapon) for every missed shot, until it is capped at 1 health.
Cut War Games
The following war games are unavailable during Hydra event, but still is referred in the game files.
- Team Deathmatch
- Killing enemies is worth team victory points
- Killing enemies with the DM bonus weapon awards additional victory points
- The team with the most victory points at the end of the time limit wins.
- Dealing damage heals you 100% of the damage dealt (max 200)
- Players take non-lethal damage over time while they are alive
- Bounty Hunter
- All players are enemies
- Killed enemies will drop dog tags that anyone can pick up
- Killing players awards less points.
- Collecting dog tags awards additional DM points.
- "War Games" term is used to describe training operation or live or computer exercise to develop military strategies.
- The game mode is referred as "Skirmish" on Steam, before June 6, 2017 update.
- Some have noted that the Hunters-Gatherers war game is incredibly similar to the Kill Confirmed mode in the first-person shooter series Call of Duty.
- The Flying Scoutsman is a play on the legend Flying Dutchman and the common nickname for SSG 08, Scout.
- The Flying Scoutsman seems to be inspired by the community game mode Scouts and Knives, which uses similar mechanics.