“Jump into a match featuring unique twists on classic gameplay. At the end of the match, vote on the next War Game to play.”
War Games is a series of game modes that consists of twists on classic gameplay. It was released on the May 23, 2017 update with Operation Hydra as one of the three Hydra Events, alongside Wingman and Weapons Expert.
It included six different twists based on the casual, demolition and deathmatch gamemodes. These are: Heavy Assault Suit based on the casual gamemode, Headshots Only based on the deathmatch gamemode, Hunters-Gatherers, Stab Stab Zap based on the casual gamemode, The Flying Scoutsman based on the casual gamemode and Trigger Discipline based on the casual gamemode. When the match ended, a vote for a next war game would have begun for the next map.
The maps were rotated daily, with 3 different maps for each war game in the rotation. For example, the gamemode Headshots Only takes place at Agency at the beginning of the week. It will change to Inferno the next day, and finally Black Gold.
Current War Games
The Flying Scoutsman
The Flying Scoutsman is a war game that is based on the casual gamemode. Players are restricted to only the SSG 08 and the knife in this game mode. Gravity is reduced and midair acceleration is increased, allowing players to fly and strafe in the air easily. Accuracy penalties midair are completely removed, allowing players to move and shoot each other with SSG 08 midair with ease.
On the November 13, 2017 update, the game mode became a permanent mode in the game due to its popularity.
Former War Games
Heavy Assault Suit
Heavy Assault Suit is a war game that is based on the casual gamemode. It includes the Heavy Assault Suit which is available in the buy menu for $6000, replacing the normal Kevlar + Helmet that is otherwise unavailable for purchase in casual. This war game was playable only on bomb defusal maps.
Boom! Headshot! is a war game that is based on the deathmatch gamemode. Only headshot and backstab damage is counted in this mode, shots that hit anywhere apart from the head are not counted. All players spawned with armor, but without a helmet.
Hunters-Gatherers is a war game based on the deathmatch gamemode. Kills in this mode drops Dog Tags. Players must collect the most amount of dog tags (either from their teammates or enemies) before the end of the match. Bonus weapons would drop an extra dog tag for every kill.
Stab Stab Zap
Trigger Discipline is a war game that is based on the casual gamemode. Players lose health (the amount of health lost varies on the weapon) for every missed shot, until it is capped at 1 health.
Cut War Games
The following war games were unavailable during the Hydra event, but was still referred in the game files.
- Team Deathmatch
- Killing enemies is worth team victory points
- Killing enemies with the DM bonus weapon awards additional victory points
- The team with the most victory points at the end of the time limit wins.
- Dealing damage heals you 100% of the damage dealt (max 200)
- Players take non-lethal damage over time while they are alive
- Bounty Hunter
- All players are enemies
- Killed enemies will drop dog tags that anyone can pick up
- Killing players awards less points.
- Collecting dog tags awards additional DM points.
Behind The Scenes
- "War Games" term is used to describe training operation or live or computer exercise to develop military strategies.
- The game mode is referred as "Skirmish" on Steam, before the June 6, 2017 update.
- Some have noted that the Hunters-Gatherers war game is incredibly similar to the Kill Confirmed mode in the first-person shooter series Call of Duty.
- The Flying Scoutsman is a play on the legend Flying Dutchman and the common nickname for SSG 08, Scout.
- The Flying Scoutsman seems to be inspired by the community game mode Scouts and Knives, which uses similar mechanics.
csgo/cfg/op08_stab_stab_zap.cfg, dev comment: // * Start with knife, taser, flashbang